from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Football A play in which the ball carrier attempts to run around one end of the defensive line.
- n. Informal A maneuver in which impediments are bypassed, often by deceit or trickery: made an end run around the departmental finance officer in order to increase the budget.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A running play in American football in which the player carrying the ball attempts to avoid being tackled by evading the defending players from the opposing team
- n. An attempt to avoid a difficult situation by transcending it without confronting it directly
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (American football) an attempt to advance the ball by running around the end of the line
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.