from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for examining visually the interior of a bodily canal or a hollow organ such as the colon, bladder, or stomach.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an instrument used to examine a bodily orifice or canal, or a hollow organ
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for examining the interior of the body, consisting of a flexible tube with lenses and optical fibers permitting illumination of the interior site to be inspected, and visualization of the interior site from outside the body; it often has small surgical instruments attached to the end and manipulable from the outside, permitting biopsy or surgery. It is used as a non-invasive or minimally invasive tool for diagnosis or treatment, especially in organs having an external opening such as the rectum, the urethra, and the bladder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A diagnostic instrument designed for obtaining a view of some internal part of the body, especially the bladder, uterus, and stomach.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a long slender medical instrument for examining the interior of a bodily organ or performing minor surgery
Sorry, no etymologies found.
An endoscope is a probe with a tiny camera and bright light that is inserted into natural body openings such as the anus, urethra or vagina.
A procedure involving the passage of a thin endoscope through the mother's abdomen and into the uterus to directly observe the fetus and placenta.
Sinus surgery used to be done by cutting through the face, but today it is mostly done by sticking a thin flexible tube called an endoscope up the nostrils.
The surgeons behind him were taking a brain tumor out through an endoscope, which is something that's done at very sophisticated hospitals here in this country.
The company hoped that the endoscope, which is just 8.5mm in diameter, would give a better idea of what was really happening inside of the reactor.
An endoscope, which is a pencil-like camera device connected to a television monitor, is inserted through one of the incisions, allowing the surgeon to have a clear view of the muscles and tissues beneath the skin.
This test generally is done by a skilled gastroenterologist, who inserts a tube called an endoscope through the patient’s mouth and down the esophagus.
They could also have use for some kind of endoscope module.
Making endoscopes, which are used for internal medical examinations, is a major part of Olympus's business, and the company had donated to an endoscope foundation that Dr. Fujita chaired.
Olympus highlighted the "stable earnings" of its business as a supplier of endoscope devices, which are used in internal medical exams.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.