from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small asexual spore, as that formed by some bacteria.
- n. The inner layer of the wall of a spore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The inner layer of a spore
- n. A small vegetative spore produced by some bacteria
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The thin inner coat of certain spores.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the inner coat of a spore, corresponding to the intine of a pollen-grain. Compare epispore, exospore.
- n. In bacteriology, a spore formed within a cell, as distinguished from arthrospore.
- n. Also endosporium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small asexual spore that develops inside the cell of some bacteria and algae
Sorry, no etymologies found.