American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Chemistry Characterized by or causing the absorption of heat; endoergic.
- adj. Biology Of or relating to an organism that generates heat to maintain its body temperature, typically above the temperature of its surroundings; warm-blooded.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to absorption of heat. Endothermic compounds are those whose formation from elementary substances is attended with absorption of heat, and whose decomposition into other simpler compounds or into elements is attended with liberation of heat. Nitroglycerin and other explosives are examples of endothermic compounds.
- adj. chemistry Of a chemical reaction that absorbs heat energy from its surroundings.
- adj. zoology Of an animal whose body temperature is regulated by internal factors.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Chem.) Designating, or pert. to, a reaction which occurs with absorption of heat; formed by such a reaction; ; -- opposed to
- adj. (of a chemical reaction or compound) occurring or formed with absorption of heat
- From endo- (“inside”) + thermic (“of heat”). (Wiktionary)
“II., where the meaning of the expression endothermic is explained.”
“Compounds are therefore of two kinds: those which absorb heat during their preparation, and consequently liberate heat when they are decomposed -- such being termed endothermic; and those which evolve heat during their preparation, and consequently absorb heat when they are decomposed -- such being called exothermic.”
“Let them contract again and, in a socalled endothermic reaction, they cool down.”
“This process is endothermic, meaning it absorbs thermal energy from its surroundings, decreasing the temperature and eliminating the fire. [wiki]”
“The toxic action of the impurities of crude acetylene is discussed in Chapter V. Acetylene is an "endothermic" compound, as has been mentioned in Chapter”
“The Namir - meaning 'tiger' - is a joint development between Frazer-Nash Research and Giugiaro and uses a 814cc "endothermic" rotary engine to charge a 400V 108-cell lithium-ion battery pack that is, in turn, hooked up to four electric motors - two per axle - that together generate 362bhp (270kW).”
“I wasnâ€ ™ t very good in thermodynamics, but my guess is that the cloak is endothermic somehow, and it sucked all the heat from inside the bubble.”
“Apparently, there was an overload in the Jónsson Alignment Compensators, which caused the endothermic vacuum inducers in Montana, Colorado, and Utah to change their focus angle.”
“• The massive Sigurðsson-Björk subterranean endothermic induction “vacuum” to remotely suck the heat energy from the magma chamber,”
“If sauropods had an endothermic metabolism, Eiler says that would have allowed them to generate their own body heat internally like mammals.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘endothermic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
( personal list, randomness )
related external links:
hypermobility, amphibious, immortality, cybernetic, endothelium, hyperform, biodiversity, adaptation, thermoregulation, ecophysiology, ectothermic, endothermic and 94 more...
Looking for tweets for endothermic.