American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A group or set of nine.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The number nine; a system of nine objects; especially, in mathematics, a system of nine points common to different plane cubic curves, or a system of nine lines common to cubic curves.
- n. One of the divisions of Porphyry's collection of the doctrines of Plotinus: so named from the fact that each of the six divisions contains nine books.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The number nine or a group of nine.
- n. the cardinal number that is the sum of eight and one
- From Greek enneas which means from nine. (Wiktionary)
- Greek enneas, ennead-, from ennea, nine; see newn̥ in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And NINE, or the ennead, also, being the multiple of”
“A similar attempt in favour of Re and his ennead was perhaps made by the Memphite kings.”
“To this first ennead, of which Tûm (later supplanted by Re) appears as the head, two others were added, the first of which began with Horus, as son of Osiris and Isis.”
“Romans, who made the last day of _the first ennead_ to be also the first day _of the second_.”
“In an episode near and dear to this writer's heart, we welcome Cannibal Corpse bassist Alex Webster and Order of ennead bassist Scott Patrick for a special Death Metal episode of the Skull Sessions!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ennead’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
of or relating to; used to form names
Interesting words you probably won't hear in your day-to-day.
The perfect site for any true wordie who wants to help in small ways.
Looking for tweets for ennead.