from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a subgroup of picornaviruses, including polioviruses, coxsackieviruses, and echoviruses, that infect the gastrointestinal tract and often spread to other areas of the body, especially the nervous system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of many viruses, of the genus Enterovirus, that infect the gastrointestinal tract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of a group of picornaviruses that infect the gastrointestinal tract and can spread to other areas (especially the nervous system)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
* The term enterovirus is a general description for viruses that infect and replicate in cells of the gastrointestinal tract.
A pathogen called enterovirus was present in 44 of 72 pancreases tested from young people who died less than a year after being diagnosed with diabetes, researchers from Peninsula Medical School, the University of
The virus is enterovirus, meaning it enters the body through the digestive tract and multiplies in the oropharynx area.
Children with recent enterovirus infections had three times higher risk for pre-diabetes.
Previous studies have associated enterovirus infections with type I diabetes and pre-diabetes autoimmunity but the findings weren't conclusive.
They found type I diabetics were almost 10 times as likely to have had a recent enterovirus infection as non-diabetics and to experience persistent enterovirus infections.
A prospective study of the role of coxsackie B and other enterovirus infections in the pathogenesis of IDDM.
* Lin Fang-yue林芳郁: "If we don't get the enterovirus situation under control soon, you'd better start praying."
After the first seven children died in March, local doctors speculated that they were dealing with an enterovirus, a family of viruses that includes polio.
Taiwanese Heart relates WHO and our current enterovirus outbreak.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.