from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Unusual red pigmentation, as of hair or plumage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Abnormal red colouration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A condition of excessive redness. See erythrochroism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornithology, a condition of dichromatism characterized by excess of red pigment in the plumage of birds which are normally brown, gray, etc.
- n. In anthropology, redness of hair, generally combined with light complexion.
- n. In zoology, the assumption of red in animals, in place of their ordinary coloration.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It has an unusual genetic mutation known as erythrism.
It’s the result of a condition called erythrism, similar to the recessive gene that afflicts albino animals.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.