from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of scallop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thin slice of meat (especially of veal) normally shallow fried
- n. A scallop
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See escalop.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as scallop.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. edible muscle of mollusks having fan-shaped shells; served broiled or poached or in salads or cream sauces
- n. thin slice of meat (especially veal) usually fried or broiled
- v. bake in a sauce, milk, etc., often with breadcrumbs on top
- n. edible marine bivalve having a fluted fan-shaped shell that swim by expelling water from the shell in a series of snapping motions
Middle English escalop, from Old French escalope; see scallop.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)