American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various minute single-celled freshwater organisms of the genus Euglena, characterized by the presence of chlorophyll, a reddish eyespot, and a single anterior flagellum.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of infusorians of the family Euglenidæ. E. viridis is one of the commonest and best-known of infusorians, inhabiting stagnant pools, often occurring in vast shoals on the surface of the water.
- n. biology Any of several protists, of the genus Euglena, that contain chloroplasts and a single flagellum
- n. minute single-celled green freshwater organism having a single flagella; often classed as algae
- New Latin : Greek eu-, eu- + Greek glēnē, eyeball. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The euglena is a protist and is one of the longer looking cells.”
“Close to the middle of the front of the euglena is a long skinny whip like structure called the flagellum which comes out of the organ called the mouth.”
“For example purposeful behavior surely occurred in unicellular eukaryotic ancestors of modern organisms like paramecia and euglena who perform rather complex adaptive movements.”
“You can see the giant euglena in the background of this picture.”
“Bir dev bir euglena, bir tek hücreli organizma modeli dönen bir kamçı da merkez dışında bulunur.”
“A giant rotating model of a euglena, a single-celled organism with a flagellum, also resides outside the center.”
“But our dumber-than-a-euglena president has folded this disaster into the "global war on terra" to make it palatable.”
“And finally, walk through the giant eye of a needle enlarged 1000 times, and see amoeba, euglena, paramecium and a sewing thread all enlarged to the same scale.”
“In the middle of the body is the nucleus which is the "control center" for the euglena, and spread out all around in the protoplasm of the euglena are green looking structures called chromatophores.”
“Now the euglena can find the light it needs for photosynthesis.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘euglena’.
Ever play "Words With Friends" with someone and they throw down some strange, unlikely group of letters that makes even the most mild and squeaky clean tongued person say "whiskey tango foxtrot"? ...
descriptive eye words
Looking for tweets for euglena.