from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An experience or event that reveals, enlightens, or informs; something that causes learning, revelation, realization, or increased awareness.
- n. An alcoholic beverage consumed first thing in the morning. A euphemism used by those offering or consuming alcohol in the morning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something that causes the eyes to open, or that opens the eyes, literally or figuratively.
- n. A draught of strong liquor, especially one taken in the morning; a strong drink; a horn.
- n. Information or an experience that enables one to comprehend what before he had failed to see the meaning of; that which gives one sudden discernment as to things with which he has to do: as, overhearing that remark proved an eye-opener to me.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
For the uninitiated, statistical analysis can be an eye-opener concerning the analysis of the efficacy of every paradigm.
The biggest eye-opener is the great room, which is about the same size as the combined eat-in kitchen and family room found in the typical 2,400-square-foot houses that have been a staple of American home building for the past 20 years.
But I would probably have found it an eye-opener at 18.
It is quite an eye-opener when you detail out a day.
A look at the fat content of fried chips, as compared with baked, is a real eye-opener.
But learning Spanish has been a great refresher, and an eye-opener.
I must admit that, while driving through Mexico City is always an adventure, I won´t miss that mid-trip eye-opener with its always lurking crooked cops.
It was kind of an eye-opener that maybe I didn't want to pursue that whole lifestyle of being a rock 'n' roll star.
And as an extra, added benefit, we have actually started price-shopping health care services, and that has been a real eye-opener as well.
You are just as likely to break the $2500 limit as you were before to break the $3100 limit. we have actually started price-shopping health care services, and that has been a real eye-opener as well.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.