from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various transparent freshwater crustaceans of the order Anostraca that lack a carapace and characteristically swim upside-down.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small freshwater branchiopod having a transparent body with many appendages and swimming on its back.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a European fresh-water phyllopod crustacean (Chirocephalus diaphanus); -- so called from its delicate colors, transparency, and graceful motions. The name is sometimes applied to similar American species.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of a small British fresh-water phyllopodous crustacean, Branchipus (or Chirocephalus) diaphanus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small freshwater branchiopod having a transparent body with many appendages; swims on its back
Sorry, no etymologies found.