from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A showy article of dress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of ribbon, worn with streaming ends as an ornament in the seventeenth century.
- n. Hence Any trifling ornament.
- Finicking; foppish; trifling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cheap showy jewelry or ornament on clothing
The lady is a little upon the fallal; a little aunt Nellish; but I protest 1 love her, and reverence her brother.
"I got a fly, thinking as you'd have some fallal or other on you; but, bless my heart, you could have walked in that gown," he said.
--- I think there's been enough the day to gie an awfa 'warning about your cockups and your fallal duds --- see what they a' come to, '' etc.
I think there’s been enough the day to gie an awfa’ warning about your cockups and your fallal duds — see what they
-- I think there's been enough the day to gie an awfa 'warning about your cockups and your fallal duds -- see what they a' come to, "etc.etc. etc.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.