from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The period of maximum severity or intensity of a disease or fever.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An apex or summit
- n. A pediment or gable end
- n. The most intense phase of a disease (especially a fever)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The summit, apex, or ridge of a building, or of a pediment.
- n. The pediment of a portico: so called in ancient architecture because it followed the form of the roof.
- n. [NL.] In entomology, the extreme point of the front or apex of the head when, as in many Orthoptera, it is produced in a conical prominence.
- n. A period of continuous fever in an acute disease, when the temperature has ceased to ascend but has not yet begun to fall.
- n. A projection in the roof of the fourth ventricle of the brain.
Latin fastīgium, apex, height.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)