from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A venomous tropical American pit viper (Bothrops atrox) having brown and grayish markings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Bothrops lanceolatus or other lancehead snakes of genus Bothrops.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large, venomous serpent (Trigonocephalus lanceolatus) of Brazil and the West Indies. It is allied to the rattlesnake, but has no rattle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lanceheaded or yellow viper, Craspedocephalus (or Bothrops)lanceolatus, of the family Crotalidæ, a large and very venomous serpent of the warm parts of America.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large extremely venomous pit viper of Central America and South America
French, from fer de lance, spearhead : fer, iron + de, of + lance, spear.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French, the iron of a lance, spearhead. (Wiktionary)