from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Hinduism The individual soul or essence.
- n. Hinduism The essence that is eternal, unchanging, and indistinguishable from the essence of the universe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The soul; one's true self.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The life principle, soul, or individual essence.
- n. The universal ego from whom all individual atmans arise. This sense is a European excrescence on the East Indian thought.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The soul as it is conceived by the Brahman philosophers: the existence of it is denied by the Buddhists. The soul of the universe is equally called atman.
Sanskrit ātman, breath, spirit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Sanskrit आत्म (Ātmā, "wind, breath, soul"), from Proto-Indo-European (compare Old English ǣþm ("breath")). (Wiktionary)