Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fearful; terrible.
- Unexpected; sudden.
- Singular; wonderful; extraordinary.
- n. A wonder; a strange deed, event, or object.
- n. Wonder; astonishment.
- n. A fault.
- Fearfully; singularly; wonderfully.
- Suddenly; hastily; quickly.
- To wonder.
- n. obsolete Astonishment, surprise, wonder, wonderfulness, unexpected.
- n. obsolete No wonder, not surprisingly.
- adj. obsolete Unexpected, sudden, terrible, amazing, great or numerous, very.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete, obsolete, obsolete Singular; wonderful; extraordinary.
- From Middle English fērlī ("astonishing, surprising, unexpected"), Old English fǣrliċ ("sudden, unexpected"). (Wiktionary)
“Whereupon the Heelandman bought a Kilmarnock nichtcap, price elevenpence happeny, frae Mr. Weft, and paid him wi 'part of the very note that brocht on the ferly I hae just been relating.”
“Fra 'witches and warlocks," I solemnly intoned, "fra 'wurricoos and evil speerits, and fra' a 'ferly things that wheep and gang bump in the nicht, Guid Lord deliver us!”
“Lord, ye'll have all the folk staring as if we were some ferly.”
“It is nae mair ferly  to see a woman greit than to see a goose go barefit.”
“Weel, lassie, I reckon that wasna ony ferly (_strange occurrence_)!”
“By Allah, ne'er beheld my eyes a face so ferly fair * Amid mankind whoever are, Arab or Ajamí.”
“Ho thou in lover's loving ferly fair, * Cut is the road for those”
“Seems ferly fair to all admiring orbs * You seemly body wi 'the slender throat.”
“At nausrht they'll ferly; senseless tales believe.”
“By Allah, ne’er beheld my eyes a face so ferly fair”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ferly’.
Good for poetry, or just artistic on their own.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Extremely fond of adjectives. To conquer phlegmatic speech and indolent phrases.
My fancies, my cudgels.
I can use these.
Selections from Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words by Josefa Heifetz Byrne (University Books, 1974). Definitions in the comments when not available elsewhere.
Words to revisit
Real words that I think would fit right into Wonderland/Underland vocabulary. Because I'm a geeky fangirl and that's how I roll. ^_^
a compilation of goodies found while browsing wordnik.
Looking for tweets for ferly.