American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The development in chess of a bishop from its original position to the second square of the adjacent knight's file.
- v. To develop as or set up a fianchetto.
- n. chess the development of a bishop by moving it one square to a long diagonal; specifically, a set of opening moves where a bishop is developed to the second rank of the adjacent knight file
- v. chess to develop a bishop by moving it one square to a long diagonal; specifically, a set of opening moves where a bishop is developed to the second rank of the adjacent knight file
- Italian, a diminutive of fianca ‘flank’. (Wiktionary)
- Italian, diminutive of fianco, flank, from Old Italian, from Old French flanc; see flank. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Knowing a few openings and terms like "fianchetto," or "Queen's Gambit" doesn't mean a whole lot.”
“Birds with QB fianchetto has me thinking - I might try that, thanks”
“I usually fianchetto my dark-squared bishop and try to trade off the other one for a knight that battles for e5.”
“For more than a century, players of all levels have been fascinated by the magic of the white king's fianchetto in the closed openings.”
“Morozevich tested Radjabov's KID repertoire with a fianchetto of the king's bishop, which for today turned out to be a rare line of the Grünfeld.”
“In hypermodern opening theory, a player will usually place a pawn on c4, and fianchetto his bishops to the side, by moving the g and b pawns one square, and moving the bishops to g2 and b2.”
“All of these systems tend to center around a white fianchetto of the kingside bishop, a kingside castle, allowing black to set up in the center and attempting a counterattack.”
“Black will fianchetto the bishop, and attempt a counterattack in the center later in the game.”
“The rest of the book is about closed systems (White plays e3) and white fianchetto setups.”
“Ever since then, the queen fianchetto became a good weapon for Black.) 8. f4 Nc5 9. 0-0?!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fianchetto’.
A selected sampling of words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Stuff found while looking up other stuff, and there's no place to put this stuff.
words in the nature of double spirals
Looking for tweets for fianchetto.