American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A wheel or portion of a wheel placed horizontally over the forward axle of a carriage to provide support and stability during turns.
- n. A similar device over the rear axle or axles of a tractor or pickup truck, serving as a coupling for a semitrailer.
- n. An additional wheel carried on a four-wheeled vehicle as a spare.
- n. An extra and unnecessary person or thing.
- n. A type of trailer hitch, which consists of a horseshoe-shaped plate on a multi-directional pivot, with a locking pin to couple with the kingpin of a truck trailer.
- n. A very large truck trailer; an 18-wheeler.
- n. A very large trailer that is towed with a pickup truck.
- n. idiomatic Anything superfluous or unnecessary.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. a horizontal wheel or segment above the fore axle of a carriage and beneath the body, forming an extended support to prevent careening.
- n. a steering bearing that enables the front axle of a horse-drawn wagon to rotate
- n. someone or something that is unwanted and unneeded
- n. an extra car wheel and tire for a four-wheel vehicle
“Not being a fifth wheel for once would be a miniblessing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fifth wheel’.
An extract from the "Zold Tolmacs" project, a HU-EN environmental dictionary compiled by Robert Gulyas in 2000.
dactylis glomerata, daily allowance, daily contact zone, daily cycle of tides, daily intake level, daily mortality rate, daily office and ..., daily peak, daily range in va..., daily runoff regu..., daily SO2 levels, dairy cattle and 5213 more...
short (mostly two-word) collocations, pat phrases, idioms &c. that I like
Looking for tweets for fifth wheel.