from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a corps de ballet who does not perform solos.
- n. A stage performer having no speaking part.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an actor in the background lacking an aural presence
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who dances at the opera, not singly, but in groups or figures; an accessory character on the stage, who figures in its scenes, but has nothing to say; hence, one who figures in any scene, without taking a prominent part.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who dances in the figures of the ballet.
- n. An accessory character on the stage, who figures in its scenes, but has nothing to say.
- n. Hence One who figures in any scene without taking a prominent part.
French, from present participle of figurer, to represent, from Old French, from Latin figūrāre, to form, from figūra, figure; see figure.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)