from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various plants of the genus Scrophularia having loose branching clusters of small greenish or purple flowers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various woodland herbs and shrubs of the genus Scrophularia
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of herbaceous plants (Scrophularia), mostly found in the north temperate zones. See brownwort.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common book-name for plants of the genus Scrophularia, especially the common species S. aquatica and S. nodosa.
- n. The pilewort, Ranunculus Ficaria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous tall coarse woodland plants of the genus Scrophularia
fig1, piles (obsolete) + wort1 (from its use as a folk medicine).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
fig + wort (Wiktionary)