from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any Australian finch of the genus Stagonopleura.
- n. The European redstart.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The European redstart; -- called also fireflirt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hymenopterous insect of the family Chrysididæ, such as the ruby-tailed fly, Chrysis ignita.
- n. The redstart or redtail, Ruticilla phœnicura, a bird. Also fire-flirt.
- n. An Australian name of two small weaver-birds, Ægintha temporalis, and Zonæginthus bellus.
His back and head are ashy gray, his breast like warm embers, his face black soot, and—best of all—his firetail fans flames of beckoning orange.
A number of restricted range birds are found in this ecoregion, including the red-eared firetail (Stagonopleura oculata) which inhabits karri/tingle forest and creeklines and the white-breasted robin (Eopsaltria georgiana) which can also be found in karri and tingle forest.
Peter Clarke shows off his tank full of Australian native fish, the firetail gudgeons, on the Ku-ring-gai council roof.
Sophia Findlay unleashes a fake rain storm on two different model houses to demonstrate how the design of your house can affect waterways and the environment ... and ultimately the firetail gudeons as well.
Start out drifting the outside spoils near Ingleside, using an avocado/firetail Cocoho Minnow for trout.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.