from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several plants having palmately compound leaves with five leaflets, such as the cinquefoil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See cinquefoil.
- n. A starfish with five rays, esp. Asterias rubens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to common species of Potentilla which have digitate leaves with five leaflets, as P. reptans of Europe and P. Canadensis of the United States. The marsh-fivefinger is P. palustris. Also called cinquefoil or fivefinger-grass.
- n. In Jamaica, the Syngonium auritum, an aroid with five-parted leaves.
- n. plural A popular name of some or any starfish; a five-fingered jack.
- n. plural A name given to the five of trumps in certain games of cards.
- n. The Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of a numerous plants grown for their five-petaled flowers; abundant in temperate regions; alleged to have medicinal properties
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It's not exactly the ol' five-finger discount, but then all you have to sneak out of the store is information.
Freddy just gave him the five-finger death punch to the heart.
My best is like a five-finger exercise compared with the foolishest thing she ripples off.
"The Letter" is a 10-page, five-finger exercise with no connection to the Nixons except for the verbatim use of Dick Nixon's letter to Pat "Dearest Heart . . . ", presented as if it were written by a young would-be novelist to his secret love, who happens to be his best friend's sister.
Saxon drew Billy's eyes to a mossy bank of five-finger ferns.
How in the world would a normal person figure out or guess that they need to do a "five-finger pinch" to get back to the home screen?
I placed my glovey-love, so sticky and wet, on the door with my five-finger print.
Here are three best ways to tell if an employee is likely to be seeking a five-finger discount:
Personally, I think it'd be a great idea if February 14th was declared a global public holiday and everyone had to spend the day in bed with their beloved, whether that be the wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or five-finger Grace, which if you're unsure about and have never been a confirmed bachelor, it's your hand; right or left doesn't matter so long as it's a snug fit.
Sounds sexy, adventurous, fun -- but let's remember that the old time pirates were only badly dressed, rather smelly thieves, just as scummy as any skank shoplifter taking a five-finger discount from a store.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.