from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several plants having palmately compound leaves with five leaflets, such as the cinquefoil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See cinquefoil.
- n. A starfish with five rays, esp. Asterias rubens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to common species of Potentilla which have digitate leaves with five leaflets, as P. reptans of Europe and P. Canadensis of the United States. The marsh-fivefinger is P. palustris. Also called cinquefoil or fivefinger-grass.
- n. In Jamaica, the Syngonium auritum, an aroid with five-parted leaves.
- n. plural A popular name of some or any starfish; a five-fingered jack.
- n. plural A name given to the five of trumps in certain games of cards.
- n. The Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of a numerous plants grown for their five-petaled flowers; abundant in temperate regions; alleged to have medicinal properties
Sorry, no etymologies found.