from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of five.
- n. a ball game, somewhat like tennis, played against a wall
- n. A pair of fives.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. A kind of play with a ball against a wall, resembling tennis; -- so named because three fives, or fifteen, are counted to the game.
- n. A disease of the glands under the ear in horses; the vives.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A kind of play with a ball, originally called hand-tennis: so named, it is said, because usually played with five on each side, or because three fives or 15 are counted to the game, or because the ball is struck with the hand or five fingers.
- The five fingers; the hand; the fist.
- An improper form of vives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a game resembling handball; played on a court with a front wall and two side walls
Sorry, no etymologies found.