from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an ornament or knob in the shape of a flower
- n. the small flower at the centre of each side of a Corinthian abacus; a flos
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flower-shaped ornament, esp. one terminating an object or forming one of a series, as a knob of a cover to a dish, or a flower-shaped part in a necklace.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ornamental art, a conventional flower or a small object, as one link or member of a bracelet, necklace, or the like, which has a somewhat floral shape.
- n. In architecture, a floral ornament; specifically, the large conventional flower usually placed in the center of the abacus of a Corinthian capital or classic ceiling-caisson; also, the floreated termination of a Gothic finial.
Sorry, no etymologies found.