American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The egg or larva of a blowfly, usually deposited on meat.
- v. To deposit flyblows on.
- v. To contaminate; taint.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make flyblown; taint with or as if with flyblows: chiefly in figurative uses.
- To deposit eggs on meat or the like, as a fly.
- n. The egg of a fly, the presence of which in numbers on meat, etc., makes it tainted and maggoty.
- Of the nature of flyblow; flyblown.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To deposit eggs upon, as a flesh fly does on meat; to cause to be maggoty; hence, to taint or contaminate, as if with flyblows.
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the eggs or young larvæ deposited by a flesh fly, or blowfly.
“If you didn't have good schools for that man's children and his team's children, you knew he would flyblow South Carolina and industry would never come.”
“Though his net intrants wight weighed nought but a flyblow to his gross and ganz afterduepoise.”
“Grubs -- or flyblow, description and treatment, 481 under the skin, description and treatment, 481”
“The oil of vainglory feeds the lamp; sinister aims corrupt and flyblow our holy things.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘flyblow’.
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
Interesting words and usages from Smollett's 1749 translation of Lesage's L'Histoire de Gil Blas de Santillane
Looking for tweets for flyblow.