from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To set before or in front of; bar; block; impede.
- v. To ordain; assign; allot in advance.
- v. To propose, suggest
- n. An obstacle; hinderance.
- n. That which is set ahead or before; proposal, suggestion.
- n. The deposition of sediment by the turbidity currents above the reservoir water level.
- adj. Set in fore or front part; placed ahead.
From Middle English foresetten, from Old English foresettan ("to place before, shut in, propose, prefer, precede"), equivalent to fore- + set. Cognate with Dutch voorzetten ("to put in front"), German vorsetzen ("to put in front, offer, serve up"), Swedish föresätta ("to put before"). (Wiktionary)