from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To gather together; assemble.
- intransitive v. To meet another, especially by accident.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To assemble or gather together in one place, to gather up; to congregate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To convene; to gossip; to meet accidentally.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To meet; convene.
- To become intimately acquainted (with); take up (with).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. collect in one place
From Scots for(e)gather ("to gather up, assemble"), from for- + gather. Compare Dutch vergaderen ("to assemble"). (Wiktionary)