from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An arduous or nearly hopeless undertaking.
- n. An advance guard of troops sent on a hazardous mission.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small troop picked to make an advance attack, or the first attack; a storming party.
- n. Any dangerous or hopeless venture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hopeless or desperate enterprise
By folk etymology from Dutch verloren hoop, advance guard : verloren, past participle of verliezen, to lose; see leu- in Indo-European roots + hoop, troop.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From forlorn + hope, in part-translation of Dutch verloren hoop ‘lost troop’. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.