American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to ants.
- adj. Of, derived from, or containing formic acid.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, produced by, derived from, or characteristic of ants. Also formicic.
- adj. Of or pertaining to ants.
- adj. organic chemistry Of, pertaining to or derived from formic acid (or from methane).
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Chem.) Pertaining to, or derived from, ants; ; in an extended sense, pertaining to, or derived from, formic acid.
- adj. of or containing or derived from formic acid
- adj. of or relating to or derived from ants
- From Latin formica ("ant"). (Wiktionary)
- From Latin formīca, ant. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The California Highway Patrol indicates that the tanker was carrying a corrosive material known as formic acid.”
“The ERC process, "the Electrochemical Reduction of Carbon Dioxide," combines captured carbon dioxide with water to produce high value materials, such as formic acid and formate salts, which are conventionally obtained from the thermochemical processing of Fossil Fuels.”
“The ERC process, 'the Electrochemical Reduction of Carbon Dioxide', combines captured carbon dioxide with water to produce high value materials, such as formic acid and formate salts, which are conventionally obtained from the thermochemical processing of Fossil Fuels.”
“These ants first blind them by spraying formic acid on their eyes.”
“We've discovered that another hive is afflicted with a parasitic mite with the terrifying name Varroa destructor Next week we plan to treat them with formic acid, an organic chemical control.”
“Presumably the lipid et cetera material that clad the first cellular like inorganic open vent vacuoles of materials such as ZnS less likely the organic destructive FeS originated from Fischer-Tropsch like processes instead of Zn world photosynthesis of CO2 to formic acid.”
“Then again, the absence of a preferred chemosynthesis pathway that formic acid photosynthesis impress, means that the old "chicken-and-egg" paradox of "what came first, enzymes or metabolism" that it promise to resolve remains.”
“The downside is that it is a path for CO2/water atmosphere planets, as the UV goes into synthesizing formic acid from CO2 on near surface hydrothermal ZnS deposits to turn the photo-selection crank on bio-compounds.”
“Later, a scientist hip to the giant ant threat waves a bottle of formic acid (ant power juice) under the girl's nose.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘formic’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Do any of your friends eat like a pig? Sly like a fox? Fast as a cheetah? Maybe these words describe them better
All of these things exist, I swear!
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Words from the dictionary game played by Mary, Ross, Jane and Terrie in Summer 2009
Word of the Day by Kevin, fREW, and Wes
A veritable parade of baddies and other ne'er-do-wells.
Looking for tweets for formic.