from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small fovea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The center of the fovea in the macula of the eye, approximately 0.35 mm in diameter, containing only cone cells.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small depression or pit; a fovea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy and zoology, a slight pit or depression found at the summits of the papillœ of the kidney, at the bottom of which are the mouths of the uriniferous tubules.
- n. In botany, in the leaves of Isoetes, above the fovea, a small depression out ofwhich the ligule springs.
- n. In entomology, a small fovea, or rounded impressed spaces.
New Latin, diminutive of Latin fovea, small pit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)