American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. Slang To waste time or effort on frivolities; fool. Often used with around: "would like to return to the days when Americans believed: 'By golly, you don't futz around with Uncle Sam'” ( Wall Street Journal).
- n. vulgar, colloquial, dialectal Female genitalia, especially the vagina
- n. vulgar, colloquial, dialectal, derogatory An objectionable woman
- v. To experiment by trial and error
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. Slang. To fool around; to act without plan or purpose; -- usually used with around.
- Perhaps from Yiddish arumfartzen ("to fart about"); perhaps a combination of putz and fuck; or perhaps related to German Fotze. (Wiktionary)
- Possibly blend of fuck and putz. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Now I get to 'futz' (Highly technical term there) with the rolls on the front and back pieces to get them to line up better before whipping up the neck lames.”
“I will "futz" with existing systems and add pieces to them, but I will not build one from scratch (in fact it is cheaper to buy these things off the shelf than it is for me to build it).”
“But I usually get my futz time in the early morning.”
“With the advent of GarageBand, the Apple software application that Smith Westerns and a gazillion other young troupes have used to record their first albums, bands can futz endlessly over their laptop recordings before playing a single show.”
“When you initially open it, you may have to futz with the drag handles a bit to get all three windows to show up and sized the way you want.”
“This is with music on shuffle, 5-8 minutes of warming up, rocking out, taking time to hydrate, skip tracks, occasionally futz with the video camera … all intertwined.”
“And unless the Israelis are just bitching and moaning about Iran for their own domestic political reasons, Israel is highly unlikely to allow Obama to futz around and blink for the next four years like they did Bush.”
“Balance is the key — the military must be “good enough” that no one wants to futz with you to get what you have …”
“And — you want me to be real, here? — the moment I realized I was going to have to futz with multiple providers, deal broken.”
“No cables to lose, no media to futz with, low enough button count to make skinny guys in black turtlenecks happy – yeah, killer product and (now) widely copied and emulated.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘futz’.
slang terms for crimes, also words associated with shady behaviour
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Words to remember from DFW's "Infinite Jest"
Comic strip character names and words, along with modern slang oddities.
Words that make me giggle.
...but way smarter than asphalt ;)
really good words
Looking for tweets for futz.