American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A dark green to brown or black mineral, ZnAl2O4. Also called zinc spinel.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mineral of the spinel group, crystallizing in the isometric system, commonly in regular octahedrons. It varies in color from dark green or gray to black. It is essentially an oxid of zinc and alumina, or better an aluminate of zinc, but sometimes contains also iron and manganese. Also called zinc-spinel. Automolite, dysluite, and kreittonite are names of varieties.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) Zinc spinel; automolite.
- Named after Swedish chemist Johan Gottlieb Gahn (1745-1818) in 1807. (Wiktionary)
- After Johan Gottlieb Gahn (1745-1818), Swedish mineralogist. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gahnite’.
A list for terms and phrases that I haven't (yet) entered into themed lists, including my series of various 151-word Random Palavery lists. Constructions that catch my eye, ring in my ears, tease m...
Looking for tweets for gahnite.