from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Divination by interpreting the sounds and signs of the belly. It is now sometimes associated as being a form of ventriloquism, where vocal sounds are produced from the belly.
- n. Divination by noting magical visions in large-bellied glasses. It is sometimes described as a technique where a child is placed in front of a glass filled with water, the images in the glass were then interpreted. Similar to crystallomancy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of divination, by means of words seemingly uttered from the stomach.
- n. A species of divination, by means of glasses or other round, transparent vessels, in the center of which figures are supposed to appear by magic art.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In antiquity:
- n. A kind of divination among the ancients by means of words which seemed to be uttered from the belly; divination by ventriloquism.
- n. A species of divination by means of large-bellied glasses or other round transparent vessels, in the center of which figures were supposed to appear by magic art.
The other side of the coin is represented by gastromancy, which is not only a synonym for crystallomancy but also the term for divination by ventriloquism.
By gastromancy, which kind of ventral fatiloquency was for a long time together used in Ferrara by Lady Giacoma Rodogina, the Engastrimythian prophetess.
By gastromancy, which kind of ventral fatiloquency was for a long time together used in Ferrara by Lady Giacoma Rodogina, the
Other sets of synonyms include, in addition to the aforementioned haruspicy and haruspication: caloptromancy and enoptromancy; spodomancy and tephramancy (or tephromancy); alectryomancy and alectoromancy; astromancy and sideromancy; crystallomancy and gastromancy; hieromancy and hieroscopy; necromancy and sciomancy; ornithomancy and orniscopy; and scapulimancy and omoplatoscopy.
Necromancy, masters over ghosts and those who gain information from the dead, gastromancy and enchantment [
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.