- v. UK To swindle; to extort.
- v. UK, Australia, real estate To raise the selling price of something (especially property) after previously agreeing to a lower one.
- v. UK, Australia, real estate To buy a property by bidding more than the price of an existing, accepted offer.
- v. UK, Australia To trump or preempt; to reap the benefit underhandedly from a situation that someone else has worked to create.
- n. US, slang, dated An automobile.
- v. raise the price of something after agreeing on a lower price
- v. rip off; ask an unreasonable price
- Possibly from גזלן (gazlen, "thief, bandit"). (Wiktionary)
“He was a wonderful old boy who called me a couple of weeks later to tell me that a woman had tried to 'gazump' me," he says, pronouncing the word with a horrified Colonel Mustard accent.”
“State schools are trying to "gazump" each other as they fight to attract the best pupils, research suggests today.”
“Jones was already mulling over offers from Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur by the time United moved in and triggered the £16m release clause to gazump everyone.”
“But the fire in Manchester City's pocket rages on nonetheless, and in a demented fluster they will convince Benfica to take £35m for moderate midfielder Ramires and then gazump Chelsea by offering £25m for the £15m-rated Santos striker Neymar.”
“United are also pondering a £12m move for Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger, with their vastly wealthier rivals Manchester City and Chelsea likely to gazump any effort Alex Ferguson makes to secure the signature of the 26-year-old German international.”
“Park underwent a medical at Lille before Arsenal moved to gazump the French champions on Saturday.”
“The Sun Bombs, executions, poverty... welcome to Anzhi FC, Mr Eto'o - 2 hrs ago United gazump Chelsea's swap for 'outstanding' winger - reports - 16 hrs ago TalkSport Man United after Juventus ace - 17 hrs ago The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.”
“Now that we can help people transact in the trustee market, we can gazump short sale offers.”
“He just thought that Microsoft would provide that phone, not that Apple would gazump the phone world with a game-changing handset.”
“Sullivan has warned of the possibility of "riots" and "civil unrest" if Tottenham gazump”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gazump’.
States of being are listed on oofy.
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Another of my Random Palavery lists, still an eclectic listing of terms that catch my eye and ear. It can't be helped. I am, (as a former partner phrased it) a word-bird.
The delicious wonderful words that I love terribly dearly and without which, the world would be a less inventive and worthwhile place. Also, ostensibly, the reason 1984 and esperanto secretly suck.
Looking for tweets for gazump.