American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A faint glowing spot in the sky, exactly opposite the position of the sun. Also called counterglow.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The large, faintly luminous patch on the ecliptic opposite to the sun, supposed to be apart of the zodiacal light. Its explanation is still uncertain, though it is generally believed to be due to reflection from minute meteoric particles at a distance greater than the length of the earth's shadow. See
- n. astronomy A faint brightening of the night sky in the region of the ecliptic directly opposite the Sun.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A faint patch of light in the night sky that appears opposite the sun; a reflection of sunlight by micrometeoric material in space.
- n. a faint spot of light in the night sky that appears directly opposite the position of the sun; a reflection of sunlight by micrometeoric material in space
- German Gegenschein ("counter-shine"). (Wiktionary)
- German : gegen, against (from Middle High German, from Old High German gegin) + Schein, light (from Middle High German schīn, from Old High German scīn, from scīnan, to shine). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“When Sam turned away from the floor a gegenschein floated in her exhausted eyes.”
“This is the gegenschein, German for "counter-shine.”
“Two to look for: the gegenschein and zodiacal light.”
“Make 36 photographs of gegenschein, the faint nebulosity which appears opposite the Sun in certain conditions.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gegenschein’.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
A selected sampling of words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
Culturally defined terms and expressions from the four corners of the world
with a chance of mizzle
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
Unusual weather and environmental phenomena.
About all that shines
Looking for tweets for gegenschein.