from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to gems
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to gems.
- n. A receptacle for jewels or gems; a jewel house; jewels or gems, collectively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to gems or jewels.
- n. A gem-engraver.
- n. A depository for gems; a jewel-house. In this sense also written gemmery.
- n. The science of or knowledge concerning gems.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In painting and gemmary Fortunato, like his countrymen, was a quack -- but in the matter of old wines he was sincere.
In painting and gemmary, Fortunato, like his countrymen, was a quack -- but in the matter of old wines he was sincere.
His fiery earnestness, his passion for righteousness, the boldness with which he censured the corruptions of the Roman Court, the personal qualities by which he -- a foreigner and a mere monk -- made himself for a short period the lawgiver, the prophet, and virtually the dictator of Florence -- that Florence which was at the time the very gemmary of the Renaissance -- his sudden fall and tragic death; all combine to attract toward him our admiration, pity, and love, and to leave upon our minds the impression of his extraordinary moral genius.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.