from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The distinctive atmosphere or pervading spirit of a place.
- n. The guardian deity of a place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The spirit or one of the spirits presiding over or guarding a particular place, such as a glade or pool.
- n. The geist, distinctive atmosphere, or characteristic spirit of a place, especially when regarded as an artistic muse.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the genius or presiding divinity of a place; hence, the pervading spirit of a place or institution, as of a college, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the special atmosphere of a place
- n. the guardian spirit of a place
Latin genius locī : genius, spirit + locī, genitive sing. of locus, place.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin genius ("lar") + locī ("of (a) place"), genitive singular form of locus ("place”, “location") = “(guardian) spirit of a place”. (Wiktionary)