American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The special atmosphere or mood created by a particular environment: "The noir ambience is dominated by low-key lighting . . . and deep shadows, creating feelings of disorientation, loneliness and entrapment” ( UCLA Film/TV Archive).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Environment: in art, the arrangement of accessories and surroundings to support the main effect intended.
- n. A particular mood or atmosphere of an environment or surrounding influence.
- n. computer graphics, 3D models A secondary color of a polygon that becomes more pronounced with shading.
- n. a particular environment or surrounding influence
- n. the atmosphere of an environment
- Borrowing from French ambiance (Wiktionary)
- French, from ambiant, surrounding, from Latin ambiēns, ambient-; see ambient. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Most of the following hotels are located in downtown Puerto Vallarta, south of the Rio Cuale, where the ambiance is at its best and the beach, restaurants, shopping, and nightlife are within walking distance.”
“Also, important to note, and adding on the notion that you are paying for service and ambiance, is the high mark-up of alcoholic beverages is partially to offset the slowing of table turnover due to alcohol consumption (but a lot of it is taxes and licenses, a petition at my local brewery against futher increases in tax on serving alcohol suggested that 44% of beer prices are tax in michigan).”
“Finding poinsettias for that additional touch of Christmas ambiance is not a problem; after all, poinsettias are indigenous to Mexico and are abundant in Vallarta.”
“Yet somehow to Weingrad, that ambiance is the true “high fantasy.””
“Dec 5th, 2007 at 9: 39 am ckc just had 2 latkes and 2 blintzes for $11.95 at Diamond Dairy – maybe not worth it for the food, but the ambiance is hysterical! was really fun place to eat lunch.”
“The ambiance is 10 if you include the hospitality of Salvador.”
“Trip is a character in Façade, a new videogame that borrows its ambiance from the modern theater.”
“Wasnt bad, but it wasnt Honda Ya in ambiance, qaulity or value.”
“As you see, there's 2 major times: in the short term, close-ups + general shots before opening, so they will be able to make for their initial marketing and advertisement campaign, then in the long term ambiance shots for newspapers, brochures, company internal magazines, etc.”
“The ambiance is the merchandise," Mr. Shapiro says.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ambiance’.
Words that make you go "I know that word...what the heck does it mean?!?
Rosarians have names for thousands of varieties of roses.
A list of words to remember to incorporate into my vocabulary.
An extensive vocabulary aids expressions and communication.
Vocabulary size has been directly linked to reading com...
Looking for tweets for ambiance.