from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Archaic A sword, especially a broadsword.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A weapon formerly used, consisting of a large blade fixed on the end of a pole, whose edge was on the outside curve.
- n. A light lance with a long sharp-pointed head.
- n. A sword.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A weapon formerly used, consisting of a large blade fixed on the end of a pole, whose edge was on the outside curve; also, a light lance with a long sharp-pointed head.
- n. A sword; -- used poetically and loosely.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See glave.
They are accounted one of the most ancient clans in the Highlands, and it is certain they were a people of original Celtic descent, and occupied at one period very extensive possessions in Perthshire and Argyleshire, which they imprudently continued to hold by the coir a glaive, that is, the right of the sword.
Rising, Tyrande solemnly said, If Elune grants it, what power I wield both with my glaive and through my prayers to her will I offer!
The high priestess expertly slipped off while still using her whirling glaive to cut at whatever branch snagged at them.
Then her gaze returned to the glaive … and her determination hardened.
My time away from my calling would hardly have left me high in his opinion … His eyes shifted to the glaive, which now lay up on the table.
But the glaive only caused the upper and lower halves to momentarily part.
Quickly, she returned her attention to the glaive.
Before Malfurion could ask who she meant, Tyrande brought the glaive up in a salute and murmured something in the hidden tongue of the Sisterhood.
Tyrande took up a stand in front of the archdruid and threw the moonlight glaive.
The high priestess shot a glance toward the glaive—it was still by the blankets, where it had been before the intruders had burst in.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.