from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Scots Alert and quick to respond.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To glance.
- n. A look or glance.
- n. Alternative form of cleg.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Quick of perception; alert; sharp.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Quick or perception or apprehension; acute; clever; sharp.—
- Nimble; active; lively.
- Easily moved; slippery.
- 4. Keen-edged; sharp: applied to things, as to a knife.
- n. Same as cleg.
Middle English, clear-sighted, from Old Norse glöggr; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Variant forms. (Wiktionary)