from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A blood-sucking African fly that transmits sleeping sickness etc.; the tsetse fly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. ĺ. A genus of dipterous insects, or flies, of the family Muscidæ. G. morsitans is the terrible tsetse-fly.
- n. A genus of brachiopods, of the family Lingulidæ.
- n. A genus of pyralid moths: same as Stericta.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bloodsucking African fly; transmits sleeping sickness etc.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.