American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the jaw.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the jaws; specifically, in craniometry, pertaining to the alveolus of the jaws; alveolar: as, the gnathic or alveolar index (which see, under craniometry). Also gnathal.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Anat.) Of or pertaining to the jaw.
- Ancient Greek γνάθος (gnathos, "jaw") + English -ic; equivalent to * γναθικός (gnathikos) (Wiktionary)
- Greek gnathos, jaw; see genu-2 in Indo-European roots + -ic. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The degree of projection of the jaws is determined by the gnathic or alveolar index, which represents the proportion between the basialveolar and basinasal lengths, thus: basialveolar length X 100/basinasal length56”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gnathic’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
These are words that I enjoy because they are unique, rare, long, or just cool.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Selections from Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words by Josefa Heifetz Byrne (University Books, 1974). Definitions in the comments when not available elsewhere.
... that I didn't know and also was pleased to learn.
Looking for tweets for gnathic.