from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person for whom another serves as sponsor at baptism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A child whose baptism is sponsored by a godparent. In some cases the relationship is maintained indefinitely, with the godchild being treated much like a niece or nephew.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One for whom a person becomes sponsor at baptism, and whom he promises to see educated as a Christian; a godson or goddaughter. See godfather.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the liturgical churches, one for whom a person becomes sponsor (godfather or godmother) at baptism; a godson or goddaughter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an infant who is sponsored by an adult (the godparent) at baptism
god + child (Wiktionary)