American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A monetary standard under which the basic unit of currency is equal in value to and exchangeable for a specified amount of gold.
- n. A model of excellence; a paragon: "Several generations of the laser have been widely available in Europe; the FDA approved the one now considered the gold standard” ( Daniel Goleman).
- n. economics A monetary system where the value of circulating money is linked to the value of gold.
- n. idiomatic A test or measure of comparison that is considered ultimate or ideal.
- n. a monetary standard under which the basic unit of currency is defined by a stated quantity of gold
- n. a paragon of excellence
“As far as is known, monism was spread quite widely among the newts, with some of the newts believing in materialism and some of them in the gold standard or some other scientific doctrine.”
“The disease most easily distinguishable in mice is lupus—which means that the gold standard in the laboratory for ascertaining whether a pollutant might cause autoimmunity in humans is to see if it causes lupus in genetically-at-risk female mice.”
“Molecularly distilled fish oils are the gold standard in supplementation recommended by more and more mainstream, as well as alternative, MDs.”
“The main component in both of these serums is now the gold standard ingredient for reducing dark circles: Haloxyl, from the herb chrysin, which helps heal capillary blood leakage that creates most dark circles.”
“Between 2003 and 2006, liposomes, made from phospholipids more on those in a moment, were the gold standard delivery system for active ingredients in effective skin care.”
“Sovereign Silver’s silver hydrosol is the gold standard for effective and safe colloidal silver.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gold standard’.
The bad news: There are possibly tens of thousands of colour collocations in English. The good news is that the pictures retrieved by Wordnik from flickr will probably match the terms this time.
Looking for tweets for gold standard.