from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A monetary standard under which the basic unit of currency is equal in value to and exchangeable for a specified amount of gold.
- n. A model of excellence; a paragon: "Several generations of the laser have been widely available in Europe; the FDA approved the one now considered the gold standard” ( Daniel Goleman).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A monetary system where the value of circulating money is linked to the value of gold.
- n. A test or measure of comparison that is considered ultimate or ideal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a monetary standard under which the basic unit of currency is defined by a stated quantity of gold
- n. a paragon of excellence
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.