American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Either of two small carnivorous mammals (Galictis vittata or G. cuja) of Central and South America, having grizzled fur, a slender body, and short legs.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal of the genus Galictis, G. vittata or Guiana marten, a plantigrade carnivorous quadruped of the subfamily Mustelinœ, inhabiting South America. It is made by J. E. Gray the type of genus Grisonia. See cut under Galictis.
- n. A kind of sapajou, the Lagothrix canus of Geoffroy.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A South American animal of the family Mustelidae (Galictis vittata). It is about two feet long, exclusive of the tail. Its under parts are black. Also called
South American glutton.
- n. A South American monkey (Lagothrix infumatus), said to be gluttonous.
- n. carnivore of Central America and South America resembling a weasel with a greyish-white back and dark underparts
- French, from Old French, gray fur, from gris, gray; see grisaille. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Le Chef grison et chauve, et je n'ay que trente ans.”
“Among some of the endangered mammals found in this ecoregion are the jaguar (Panthera onca), puma (Felis concolor), ocelot (Leopardus pardalis), tapir (Tapirus bairdii), greater grison (Galictis vittata), tayra (Eira barbara), Central American spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi), and mantled howler monkey (Alouatta palliata).”
“Among the fauna we find great herbivores such as the pampas deer (Ozotoceros bezoarticus celer) and the guanaco (Lama guanicoe), carnivores such as the puma (Felis concolor), Geoffroy's cat (Felis geoffroyi), pampa fox (Dusicyon gymnocercus), zorrino común (Conepatus chinga) and grison (Galictis cuja).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘grison’.
List now closed! Thanks for your "bets"!
Think you can guess the word that will win the 2011 Scripps National Spelling Bee? We've started this open list for your guesses and if you gue...
The words from the 2011 Scripps National Spelling Bee final round.
Members of the Mustelid family.
Looking for tweets for grison.