from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several burrowing or terrestrial squirrels of the genus Citellus or Spermophilus, including many species that hibernate during the winter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various squirrel-like borrowing rodents.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any species of the African genus Xerus, allied to Tamias.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A terrestrial squirrel-like rodent, as one of the genera Spermophilus and Tamias: especially applied in the United States to species of the latter genus, as Tamias striatus, the hackee or chipmunk.
- n. An African squirrel of the genus Xerus. Sclater.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various terrestrial burrowing rodents of Old and New Worlds; often destroy crops
- n. small striped semiterrestrial eastern American squirrel with cheek pouches
Sorry, no etymologies found.