from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A guilder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An old currency of the Netherlands (and its overseas territory the Netherlands Antilles).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See guilder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several gold coins formerly current in Germany from the fourteenth century, and in the Low Countries from the fifteenth century: the name was afterward applied to silver coins of Germany and the Netherlands.
- n. A former silver coin of Austria, worth 1s. 8d. English, or about 40 cents; also, a current silver coin of the kingdom of the Netherlands, of equal value. See cut in preceding column.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the basic unit of money in Suriname; equal to 100 cents
- n. formerly the basic unit of money in the Netherlands; equal to 100 cents
Middle English, from Dutch gulden (florijn), golden (florin), from Middle Dutch; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English, from Middle Dutch (shortened from) gulden (florijn) 'golden (florin)' (Wiktionary)