from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See Table at currency.
- n. The primary unit of currency in the Netherlands before the adoption of the euro.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The former currency unit in the Netherlands, divided into 100 cents.
- n. The former currency unit in Suriname, divided into 100 cents.
- n. The current currency unit in the islands in the former Netherlands Antilles, divided into 100 cents.
- n. gilder
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Dutch silver coin worth about forty cents; -- called also florin and gulden.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A gold coin formerly current in the Netherlands and in Germany.
- n. Now, a Dutch silver coin of the value of 1s. 8d. English, or about 40 cents. Also called gulden and florin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the basic unit of money in Suriname; equal to 100 cents
- n. formerly the basic unit of money in the Netherlands; equal to 100 cents
Middle English gilder, alteration of Middle Dutch gulden, golden; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)