from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, elongated fishes of the family Pholidae, common in the tidal pools and coastal waters of northern seas.
- n. Variant of gunwale.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of gunwale.
- n. A small eel-shaped marine fish of the genus Muraenoides, especially Muraaenoides gunnellus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gunwale.
- n. A small, eel-shaped, marine fish of the genus Murænoides; esp., M. gunnellus of Europe and America; -- called also gunnel fish, butterfish, rock eel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See gunwale.
- n. A name of the elongate blennies, found on the rocky coasts of the North Atlantic and North Pacific, belonging to the genus Pholis. The best-known of these fishes in the North Atlantic is P. gunnellus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wale at the top of the side of boat; topmost planking of a wooden vessel
- n. small eellike fishes common in shallow waters of the northern Atlantic
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)