Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of divination said to have been practised by walking round in a circle or ring until the performer fell from dizziness, the manner of his fall being interpreted with reference to characters or signs previously placed about the ring, or in some such way.
- n. Divination where people walk on a circle of letters until dizzy, the letters they fall on are significant. Similar to Dervishing.
- n. Divination by whirling a coin on a circle of letters.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of divination performed by drawing a ring or circle, and walking in or around it.
- gyro- + -mancy, from Ancient Greek gyros, a ring/circle/spiral. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gyromancy’.
denoting or relating to divination by a specified means
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
mancies - fancy and otherwise - many from the vatic attic
The (not always so) smoovements; scattered, oscillating, jerky, and unpredictable.
different kinds of divination
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
The 5 words contest is a parlor game where people respond to the challenge to come up with a sentence which contains 5 specified words determined by the challenger (and makes a degree of sense). Sa...
Being kinds of and related to divination.
Looking for tweets for gyromancy.